Payroll and Accounting Specialist II
Coconino Community College - Flagstaff, AZ , USA
- First Review Date, August 30, 2020
- This position is responsible for assisting with payroll functions in a timely and accurate manner while ensuring that our organization meets all regulatory compliance standards, particularly with regard to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This position also performs accounting functions in support of the CCC Foundation. This is a full-time, 12-month, benefit-eligible position.
- Diversity Statement
Coconino Community College recognizes and respects diversity and the value it brings to our communities. We appreciate and welcome cultures, identities, beliefs, experiences and all that makes us unique. CCC champions and takes action to build an inclusive work and learning environment. We are allies and advocates, navigating a respectful dialogue about our shared humanity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs backup and support functions with the college payroll and accounting processes
- Assists with reconciliation of payroll liability accounts
- Meets the requirements of all assigned compliance activities. These activities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure compliance with regulations of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and College Processes
- Determine and manage measurement and stability periods for employees’ hours
- Review policies, procedures, and operational guidelines and suggest changes to enhance ACA compliance
- Research best practices and ACA implementation, specifically at other higher education institutions, and recommend implementation changes
- Review requests for secondary positions and approve total hours; recommend corrections to supervisors when needed.
- Provides training on policies, procedures, and ACA/ASRS requirements to stakeholders
- Reports Federal Work study and Student wage hour for the pay period to supervisors
- Prepare and attends Board and Finance meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Responsible for the core/regular accounting functions for the CCC foundation
- Coding and paying vendors in a timely manner
- Journal entries into QuickBooks
- Issuance of financial reports from QuickBooks to meet ongoing and ad-hoc requests
- Reconciliation duties including, but not limited to: Reconcile statements from the College and ensure backup paperwork is accurate for audit purposes; Reconcile liability accounts between Foundation and College; Reconciles donor restricted net assets to general ledger
- Participate in events when needed, primarily providing cashier support
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledgeable and skilled with payroll processes. Strong understanding of requirements of the Affordable Care Act; strong understanding of Internal Revenue Service regulations; knowledge of the principles, practices, and standards of accounting and human resources processes; knowledge and skill using integrated administrative systems and spreadsheet programs; skilled in positive and professional written and interpersonal communication; ability to analyze and problem-solve. Proficient in Microsoft applications, such as, Excel and Word. Able to effectively work in an environment with strict deadlines and a high need for accuracy.
Associates degree in Accounting, Business, Management, or related field, and 2 years of related experience; or 4 years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job and/or as approved by the Human Resources department.
Experience with payroll in an educational setting. Experience using the Ellucian Banner administrative system. Experience with a variety of computer applications, including database management systems and Microsoft Excel expertise.
Contact InformationHuman Resources