Director of Fiscal Services/Comptroller
Northern Essex Community College - Haverhill , MA , USA
The Director of Fiscal Services/Comptroller provides accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting expertise to the college and ensures compliance with all applicable Federal, State and College regulations and policies. The position manages non-unit professional administrators, AFSCME staff accountants, and support staff. He/she reports to the COO/CFO. Current and future responsibilities are overall management of the fiscal operations of the college including grant accounting, budgets, general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, procurement, shipping and receiving and financial reporting.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of all accounting transactions and compliance with Federal, State, Department of Higher Education and College regulations and policies and generally accepted accounting practices.
- Serves as the College's primary point of contact for external accounting and auditing entities including Private, State, and Federal.
- Prepares reports and surveys, as required by regulatory agencies; prepares annual financial statements and documents in support of the annual independent audit and other audit activities.
- Identifies and recommends policies and procedures related to the financial and business practices of the college. Plans and implements new operating procedures and information technology advances to improve service quality and efficiency of service delivery.
- Supervises non-unit professional administrators, AFSCME staff accountants and support staff. He/she is a direct contributor to the daily work flow and operations of the department.
- Responsible for the development of the College's annual operating budget. Work with budget managers and senior leadership to develop enrollment revenue goals, and operational expenses.
- Maintains a standard of superior service to all in the college community. He/she fosters and maintains positive relationships and works collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff, students, and vendors.
- Develops and implements short and long-range department goals consistent with college strategic plan and senior management direction.
- Recommends and implements policies and procedures to maximize revenue and minimize expenses. Serves as college representative to the Community College Comptroller Council.
- Lead responsibility in maintaining Banner Finance and Finance Self- Service modules. Work in conjunction with the various College departments responsible for Banner modules which interface with the College's Finance system.
- Has signatory authority for College documents such as vendor payments and MMARS documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or Master's degree in Business
- Seven (7) years related financial experience of which five (5) must have been in progressive supervisory positions
- Previous experience in a state agency, higher education institution or a non-profit agency
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience and expertise in accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting, including State, Federal, and Fund Accounting
- Must be able to: research, analyze, and interpret complex financial data; respond effectively to questions and prepare material in response to inquiries; make concise and effective presentations on controversial or complex topics to college management; exercise judgment and discretion as well as handle confidential information
- Must have previous experience using production accounting and reporting application(s) and production databases and possess excellent end user computer skills, including Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- The Comptroller must be able to step in and provide backup support in critical functions to meet and cover staff absences
- Must be well-organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Assumes responsibility for other duties as directed by the COO/CFO
- Post- Graduate or Master's degree in related field
- CPA or CMA combined with extensive supervisory experience
- Previous experience using Banner, PeopleSoft, Datatel, or Jenzabar accounting system
SALARY: Anticipated starting salary range is $95,000.00 - $110,000.00 annually with complete fringe benefit package including competitive health insurance, dental insurance, basic life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid sick, vacation and personal leave, educational benefits for employee/spouse/dependents, and excellent retirement benefits.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position you must submit a cover letter & resume
DEADLINE: June 2, 2020 POST#: 201092
Northern Essex Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, military service and national origin and any other protected class in its education programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statues and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act and related statutes and regulations, Affirmative Action, non-discrimination policies, and Title IX compliance/sexual harassment: Assistant Director of Human Resources, Elizabete Trelegan B-219,978-556-3928/ firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Prospective employees are encouraged to review the College's Annual Security Report (ASR), in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which can be found on the disclosure page of the College's website at: http://www.necc.mass.edu/clery
Contact InformationMichael McCarthy