2013 CCBO Annual
Monday Afternoon Tour
WINDMILL TOUR AND PALM SPRINGS AERIAL TRAM TOUR
MONDAY SEPTEMBER 30, 2013
Did you know that only a small portion of the energy culled from our 4,000 windmills in Palm Springs is actually used in Palm Springs?
Experience the towering windmills and giant turbine blades WHOOSH overhead as the wind rushes through the fabled San Gorgonio Pass. Visitors will explore these technological wonders of the only working wind farm in the world. A Step-On tour guide will discuss the international history of wind energy, current utilization of wind power and provide an informative glimpse into the future of the electric industry. When guests take a closer look at the giant towers they will be surrounded by spectacular mountain vistas. As quoted by Huell Howser, local PBS spokesperson of “California’s Gold”, “This has been an absolutely wonderful experience…. Standing here in front off these things is amazing, because this is the future, right here, right now”
Once the Windmill tour has been completed guests will depart for the tram tour. The Palm Springs Aerial Tram on Mt. Jacinto is a true adventure. The rotating cable cars are the most advanced in the world (the only two in North America) and they guide passengers 2 1/2 miles up the mountainside to a height of 8,516 feet using a push/pull method. Each ride up the hill to the Mountain Station will be met with a cable car on the opposite side of the cable returning to the Valley Station.
Once up at the top, the Mount San Jacinto State Park and Wilderness offers 54 miles of hiking trails, which should be sufficient to satisfy the appetite of the most avid outdoor enthusiast. Trails range from the awe-inspiring five and one-half mile trek to the 10,804 foot peak of San Jacinto to the just over one mile nature walk through picturesque Long Valley, located just behind the Tram's Mountain Station. For the less active guests, a continuous reel movie about the building of the tram, gift shop, 2 restaurants and a lounge to enjoy lunch/dinner/refreshments and several viewing terraces located at the Mountain Station. This trek to the top of our famous mountain is truly a singular experience!
Once the tours have concluded, Guests are on their own at downtown Palm Springs.
3:30pm Vehicle Transportation arrives and departure begins from the Westin Mission Hills Resort
4:00pm Arrive at the Windmill farm
4:15pm-5:00pm Tour of the Windmill farm
5:00pm Departure Begins for Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
5:15pm Arrive at Palm Springs Aerial Tramway & Tram Ride to Mountain Station, 15 minutes
5:30pm-6:30pm Explore at the top of the mountain
6:45pm Depart for Downtown Palm Springs
7:00pm Arrive to Downtown Palm Springs, guests on own for dinner
9:00pm Guests start departure for Westin Mission Hills Resort
9:30pm Arrive to Westin Mission Hills Resort
Palm Springs Windmill Tour Includes:
• Deluxe Vehicle Roundtrip Transportation
• Tour Guide
• Admission to The Windmill Farm
• Eco-Adventure Tour with 45 Minute Narrated tour of Windmill Farm: Learn about the past, present and future uses of wind energy, and find out why some blades are moving and some are stopped
• Admission to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
• Sightseeing En Route with Full Narration
• Admission to Palm Springs Aerial Tram
• Pre-board Tram Tickets
• Free Time at the Top to Explore Hiking and Walking Trails
• 20-Minute Film on the Construction of the Tram
• Time to explore to Gift Shops (located at the Valley Station and Mountain Station)
• Observation Terraces to enjoy Valley Views from the Mountain Station
• Free time for Dinner at Palm Springs Downtown
Price: $100.00 per person
• The Windmill Farm is approximately 30 minutes from Westin Mission Hills.
• This is not a walking tour although guests will have an opportunity to step off the coach to view desert flora and fauna and get a closer look at the turbines.